Team 2014 played in the LBJ summer tourney this weekend. The young group of 8th/9th graders competed in the varsity division which always seem to be a challenge early on due to the physical play. Team 2014 tipped off against the Austin Lady Magic for their first game of pool play. When you wear the orange & black you always have that target on your jersey. Teams come out and play their hearts out to get a win over D-1. That’s exactly what the Lady Magic did. Post play played a huge factor in this game as they dominated the boards & pounded the ball down low. Taking a commanding lead down the stretch, the Lady Magic walked away with a victory beating Team 2014 by10.
Texas D1-Team 2014 also went up against a tough Next Level team. Head Coach Talbert Berry always has his group ready to play and that’s what they did. Team 2014 went down the stretch against Coach Berry’s young group of sophomores. Down three with seconds left in the game 2015 G 5’5 Japreece Dean flared to the wing and got a pass from 2014 G 5’6 Tiffany Fowler and hit a big three to tie the game. The young 8th grader from Del Valle is improving daily. This game got very exciting & ended up in overtime. Team 2014 continued to attack the group of sophomores and won by three points.
Great job Coach Berry
Making it out of bracket play into the championship game, the team had their chance to meet up with the Lady Magic for the big prize. Both teams came out to a slow start with the score being 11- 10 at the half in favor of D-1. Going into the second half the team made great adjustments, played solid defense, and took a commanding lead to close out the Lady Magic.
The pool play game really shocked the young 8th/9th graders but they bounced back and prevailed when it counted.
1. There are no problems we cannot solve together, and very few that we can solve by ourselves
2. The belief that one person can do something great is a myth
3. Teamwork is birthed when you concentrate on “we” instead of “me”
4. We should not only use all the brains we have, but all that we can borrow
5. The goal is more important than the role
6. If you think you are the entire picture you will never see the big picture
7. If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team
8. Everybody on a championship team doesn’t get publicity, but everyone can say he’s a champion
9. No one of us is more important than the rest of us
10. When the team you have doesn’t match up to the team of your dreams, then you have only two choices and that’s give up your dream, or grow up your team
Great Job this weekend 2014 & good luck in San Antonio next weekend